You may not believe me on this one, but yes it’s true, we have low carb pop tarts for you. My kids LOVE pop tarts, but I just can not feed them the junk found in the store, so here we go, home made low carb delicious pop tarts, enjoy!
Low Carb Strawberry Pop TartCourse: Breakfast, Snacks
225 g Strawberries (fresh or frozen)
75 g Raspberries (fresh or frozen)
1 – 4 tsp Erythritol Xylitol
1 tbsp Lemon Juice (fresh)
2 tbsp Chia Seeds
1 batch Low Carb Pie Crust
1 Egg (lightly beaten)
60 g Cream Cheese
28 g Unsalted Butter
2 – 4 tbsp Powdered Erythritol
3 – 4 tsp Vanilla Extract
pinch of Kosher Salt
Heavy Cream as needed
- Cook the strawberries and raspberries in a saucepan over medium heat until they begin to break down, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and sweetener. Mash it down or leave it chunky. Cook for 5 more minutes, remove from heat and stir in the chia seeds. Let stand until it begins to thicken, adding water as needed to thin it out until desired consistency is achieved.
- Allow to cool to room temperature and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a week or two, and up to 3 months in the freezer.
- For the pie crust make a batch of our super flaky pie crust and chill while the strawberry jam is setting.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a cooking mat or parchment paper.
- Roll out pastry dough in between two sheets of parchment paper, lightly dusting with coconut or almond flour as needed. Cut into desired size. We suggest making 8 of these tarts, as they are very filling.
- Brush edges with egg wash and spoon on a couple tablespoons of the chilled Chia jam. Press edges together and press down with a fork. If there are any cracks, simply pinch the dough back together.
- Place pop tarts in prepared tray, cut a few slits on the top with a knife. Freeze for 15 minutes, brush with egg wash and then bake for 20 – 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Check often, as baking times will vary based on your oven. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Make the glaze while the tarts are cooking, by mixing together the cream cheese, butter and powdered sweetener with an electric mixer. Mix until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract, salt and adjust the texture with a teaspoon of cream at a time.
- Store the un-glazed pop tarts, in an airtight container,at room temperature for 2 – 3 days. You can also freeze them unbaked or baked for about a month.