If you have kids, getting them to give up on the sugary cereal we’ve all grown to low can be tough, like really tough.
Switch to this and they’ll never know the difference, aside from the look of it that is. This doesn’t look like your store bought cereal, but the taste is better than ever!
Low Carb Crunchy Cinnamon Toast CrunchCourse: Breakfast
This will be a huge winner in your house if you have fans of cereal, make plenty.
- Add almond flour, cinnamon, zantham gum, baking soda and salt to a medium bowl. Whisk until thoroughly combined, set aside.
- Cream butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer, 2 – 3 minutes. Add in sweetener and continue to beat until thoroughly light and fluffy, and much of the sweetener has dissolved.
- Add in egg, mixing until just incorporated. The mixture will appear slightly “broken”.
- With the mixer on low, add in half of your flour mixture, mixing until just incorporated. Mix in the rest of your flour mix.
- Wrap cereal dough with plastic wrap (saran wrap) and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 3 days.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out dough between two pieces of parchment paper until fairly thin. Using a ruler, cut dough lengthwise and then crosswise into squares. Prick each piece with a fork.
- Transfer parchment paper with low carb cinnamon toast crunch to a baking sheet, and place in freezer for 10 minutes prior to baking. The shaped dough can be frozen for up to 3 months, and baked straight from the freezer. Add a few minutes to the baking time, if frozen more than a day.
- Bake 10 – 12 minutes, until fluffy golden. Keep an eye out for them and note that if you like them crispy, you’ll want to push the baking time as much as possible to get that crunch.
- Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon “sugar”. You can also do this prior to baking for a more crusty result, both are fine, depending on your personal preference, so do as you please.
- Allow to cool for ten minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely, as they will continue to crunch up, this part may take a few hours for the sweetener to harden.
- Store in an airtight container up to 5 days.